General Discussion: The Tennis Appreciation Thread


Show original post
smith
smith avatar

11926 posts since 5/5/04

31 Jan 2023 10:27
We shouldn't be having this conversation without including Stan Wawrinka in the top 4 conversation really.

Murray was much better than him when it came to tennis all year round, but when it came to Grand Slams he was an absolute beast.

4 Finals reached winning 3 of them.(two wins v Novak and one win and a loss v Nadal)

Big match player Ubercool
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

2275 posts since 15/12/12

posted 31 Jan 2023 18:37, edited 31 Jan 2023 18:37
smith wrote: I counter your mish mash of non-Grand Slam winners with Jokers mish mash of Kyrgios, Tsitsipas, Berretini, Anderson and Tsonga. As you included Cilic who won a Grand Slam I'll then have to include Medvedev who Joker handed his only Grand Slam win to.



4 of those Joker v Fed head to head wins came after Feds 36th Birthday. So it's much closer (23-22) when you take peak Joker versus peak Fed.

Your GOAT is yet to win a Grand Slam without dropping a set with 22 tries.

My GOAT done that twice. And once when beating a top 3 seed player in the final going by the name of Novak Djokovic. Sticking out tongue

I’ll counter your argument with a quick comparison of Slam wins after turning 29… Still in their peaks, but both playing against similar opponents as there was that short period when everyone was playing at their best and against one another. Fed 4 Slams, Djok 12….. and counting…..

Stats about dropping sets, etc are a red herring. Means nothing. Fed has had a pretty injury-free career given his effortless style and shot selection (he’s my second of all time by the way) so was able to still play near his top level up until very late into his career.

Your opponents argument is also weaker as I’ve proven that 60% of his opponents were the other top 3.

He’s played against the better opponents and for longer.

The 36 age argument makes no sense as Djok is 36 in four months himself and still showing no sign of slowing down, which tells me that you think 36 is well over peak and yet Djok is still playing at his best given he’s nearly. 36 himself.

Lastly, Fed has never beaten Nadal at the French Open while Djok has done so twice and is the only player to have beaten Nadal at all four Majors.

Sorry.
smith
smith avatar

11926 posts since 5/5/04

31 Jan 2023 19:41
fudge.dredd wrote: The 36 age argument makes no sense as Djok is 36 in four months himself and still showing no sign of slowing down, which tells me that you think 36 is well over peak and yet Djok is still playing at his best given he’s nearly. 36 himself.

I never said that. Was merely pointing out Federer was still having to compete with serial Grand Slam winners on average 5 years younger than him after his 36th birthday right up until his retirement. He did win Wimbledon just before his 36th birthday albeit not having to face any of them due to Nadal and Djoks early retirements and the defending Champion Andy Murray having a shocker in the quarter-final.
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

1239 posts since 28/2/12

1 Feb 2023 01:51
people really just like to argue for the sake of it dont they. not even the tennis thread is free from it. lolllllll
smith
smith avatar

11926 posts since 5/5/04

1 Feb 2023 10:44
People forget Federers Grand Slam winning run hit the brakes around 2010. His wife put more emphasis on family than tennis and it definitely affected his performance.

He did amazing to get to 20 Grand Slams after becoming a hands on dad.

He even said it himself recently in an interview:

"I have twin girls, as you know, Myla and Charlene. They were born in '09, just after I became, I think it was world No. 1. The girls were born and from that moment on, 2010 and 2011, I didn't win any slam. I remember changing diapers, bathing the girls and just being a dad."
swiftus
swiftus avatar

2001 posts since 1/7/09

1 Feb 2023 11:54
TROYBOY wrote: people really just like to argue for the sake of it dont they. not even the tennis thread is free from it. lolllllll

Laughing out loud

Just appreciate the fact that we were able to witness 3 of the all-time greatest in the sport battle it out whilst in their prime. Can bang out useless stats for days. Ultimately it's going to come down to who people resonated with more - which is inherently emotional and therefore an unwinnable argument.
smith
smith avatar

11926 posts since 5/5/04

1 Feb 2023 23:14
Not even an argument for me. Just a heated debate. I'm mad about all sports.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

2275 posts since 15/12/12

2 Feb 2023 16:09
smith wrote: Not even an argument for me. Just a heated debate. I'm mad about all sports.

True, it’s such an easy win for Djok in every department. Guess what he’s got a kid too! Laughing out loud

Bet he’s changed a few nappies in between winning another 4-5 Slams since!
swiftus
swiftus avatar

2001 posts since 1/7/09

25 Apr 2023 16:12
Any fukers jumping on the padel bandwagon? A few new places opened near me, much more fun than tennis and squash IMO.
smith
smith avatar

11926 posts since 5/5/04

25 Apr 2023 22:50
I would like to try it. Notice a lot of the F1 drivers play it in their freetime. Looks a lot of fun!
stoney
stoney avatar

17856 posts since 22/1/05

27 Apr 2023 17:09
swiftus wrote: Any fukers jumping on the padel bandwagon? A few new places opened near me, much more fun than tennis and squash IMO.

Yeah I started playing last year, got a couple courts at my tennis club they recently installed, bought a babolat Air Virtuo which seems ok. I’m a bit fair weather so waiting for the weather to pick up.