General Discussion: Official holiday thread


Show original post
Sleuth
Sleuth avatar

5420 posts since 12/9/04

3 Jan 2023 17:04
Does anyone have any recommendations for shuttle services from JFK to Manhattan please? Will be travelling with two young children and have only ever used the buses before. Thanks in advance.
Ulster_Blue
Ulster_Blue avatar

5689 posts since 16/7/06

3 Jan 2023 20:41
no help bur what age are they sleuth? considering it for my 40th in two years time when my two will be 2 and a half and 6
MerciBeau
MerciBeau avatar

4555 posts since 7/7/06

3 Jan 2023 21:15
Sleuth wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations for shuttle services from JFK to Manhattan please? Will be travelling with two young children and have only ever used the buses before. Thanks in advance.

It's a bastard to get out from JFK into town, especially with two kids. Not being particularly helpful but we always fork out for an Uber to get us back to our place in Brooklyn whenever we travel in to JFK.
Sleuth
Sleuth avatar

5420 posts since 12/9/04

3 Jan 2023 21:17
Ulster_Blue wrote: no help bur what age are they sleuth? considering it for my 40th in two years time when my two will be 2 and a half and 6

They are 2 & 5.

Been to the USA a few times with the eldest but this will be the first time in the USA with both in a location without any need to hire a car and I would rather we were dropped to the hotel than have to deal with buses to Port Authority and then working out how to get onwards to the hotel etc.
Sleuth
Sleuth avatar

5420 posts since 12/9/04

posted 3 Jan 2023 21:25, edited 3 Jan 2023 21:25
MerciBeau wrote:
Sleuth wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations for shuttle services from JFK to Manhattan please? Will be travelling with two young children and have only ever used the buses before. Thanks in advance.

It's a bastard to get out from JFK into town, especially with two kids. Not being particularly helpful but we always fork out for an Uber to get us back to our place in Brooklyn whenever we travel in to JFK.

Thank you, was thinking similar. I was just wondering if there were companies like Mears in Orlando(for example) that people have used in New York. Would do literally anything to avoid having to bring the two car seats with me.
MerciBeau
MerciBeau avatar

4555 posts since 7/7/06

4 Jan 2023 00:20
In NYC Uber has the option to request a car with a kids seat for a 10$ surcharge, though they usually only have one not two from what i have seen, you might get away with just bringing one (we travel with ours and it is a ballache but doable) - are you doing a flight with the border checks in Ireland or doing them at JFK?
Sleuth
Sleuth avatar

5420 posts since 12/9/04

4 Jan 2023 08:42
MerciBeau wrote: In NYC Uber has the option to request a car with a kids seat for a 10$ surcharge, though they usually only have one not two from what i have seen, you might get away with just bringing one (we travel with ours and it is a ballache but doable) - are you doing a flight with the border checks in Ireland or doing them at JFK?

Cheers MerciBeau, yeah doing pre clearance in Dublin., such a godsend when you get to the other side.
swede
swede avatar

10829 posts since 21/3/09

4 Jan 2023 11:44
my beef with uber in the US is that all the drivers use completely haggard cars vs the UK. i have no idea why there is such a disparity…… saying that i did get an uber really easily from JFK to manhattan when i went a couple of months back

can't comment on ability to get child seats
MerciBeau
MerciBeau avatar

4555 posts since 7/7/06

4 Jan 2023 13:02
Sleuth wrote:
MerciBeau wrote: In NYC Uber has the option to request a car with a kids seat for a 10$ surcharge, though they usually only have one not two from what i have seen, you might get away with just bringing one (we travel with ours and it is a ballache but doable) - are you doing a flight with the border checks in Ireland or doing them at JFK?

Cheers MerciBeau, yeah doing pre clearance in Dublin., such a godsend when you get to the other side.

The Dublin pre clearance is a must-do, we've had a 3 hour queue at JFK before and that was the citizens and green card queue, the visitor queue is 5 hours sometimes and with kids its basically impossible.

@Swede yeah 100%, the bog standard of everything in the US is always crap but then they have different 'premium' upgraded ones that are way more reasonably priced. Like I'm in Minneapolis at the minute and checking the app the shitty haggard Uber to the airport would be 35$, but the nice "UberComfort" is 40$. They also don't bother with any kind of MOT style check of road-worthiness for cars at all in the US which blows my mind a little.
swede
swede avatar

10829 posts since 21/3/09

4 Jan 2023 14:25
swede wrote: i have no idea why there is such a disparity

MerciBeau wrote: They also don't bother with any kind of MOT style check of road-worthiness for cars at all in the US which blows my mind a little.

thanks for answering my question. had no idea tbh
MoB
MoB avatar

37489 posts since 31/8/04

4 Jan 2023 15:08
swede wrote: heading to south africa at the end of the month. recommendations for cape town / camps bay / franschhoek massively appreciated as has been 6-7 years since I last went

What sort of things you after?
swede
swede avatar

10829 posts since 21/3/09

5 Jan 2023 20:34
anything mob. decent restaurants and bars probably number 1
MoB
MoB avatar

37489 posts since 31/8/04

5 Jan 2023 21:48
Cool I'll put together a list, I'll be there from the 27th myself Cool
swede
swede avatar

10829 posts since 21/3/09

6 Jan 2023 13:22
MoB wrote: Cool I'll put together a list, I'll be there from the 27th myself Cool

i land on the 27th to hoedspriut for safari for a few days. then down to cape town. really appreciate any ideas :–)
MoB
MoB avatar

37489 posts since 31/8/04

posted 11 Jan 2023 14:42, edited 11 Jan 2023 14:42
swede wrote:
MoB wrote: Cool I'll put together a list, I'll be there from the 27th myself Cool

i land on the 27th to hoedspriut for safari for a few days. then down to cape town. really appreciate any ideas :–)

You may already know of these Swede and i'll add more sorts of stuff when i get time but here#s a few bars to start off with - also just to add i've been to all of these so they're personal reccos

Blondie - for beers and food
https://www.blondie.bar/ - https://www.instagram.com/blondie_bar/

Publik - wine bar
https://publik.co.za/ - https://www.instagram.com/publikwine/

Power & the glory - Pub gets busy but decent beers and open late
https://www.instagram.com/thepowerandtheglory/

Clarkes - great food and drinks but more of a day thing
https://www.clarkesdining.co.za/ - https://www.instagram.com/clarkescapetown/

Dust & Dynamite - bonkers pub/bar atmosphere is always quality but looks like it may be closed for a bit going by their insta
https://www.instagram.com/dustanddynamite/?hl=en

Leos - Wine bar, really good selection of different types
https://www.leoswinebar.com/en-gb - https://www.instagram.com/leoswinebar/

The Dark Horse - Biased as our friend runs it but it is a good pub
https://darkhorsebar.co.za/ - https://www.instagram.com/145darkhorse/?hl=en

Roxy;s - bit studenty maybe but good atmosphere & cheap as fuck
https://roxylatenight.com/ - https://www.instagram.com/roxylatenight/

Asoka - good for drinks
https://asoka.za.com/ - https://www.instagram.com/asokakloofstreet/?hl=en

Cause & Effect - possibly the best cocktails in cape town, bit SA chavvy though
https://causeandeffect.co.za/ - https://www.instagram.com/causeeffectbar/

The drinkery - one of my favourite CT bars
https://www.instagram.com/thedrinkeryza/?hl=en

Light_Sleeper
Light_Sleeper avatar

41 posts since 1/11/17

17 Jan 2023 07:37
Anyone flown Aer Lingus to the US?

Pricing up flights at the moment and the price difference vs Virgin/BA is pretty significant.
-DiscoTits-
-DiscoTits- avatar

1072 posts since 26/11/07

17 Jan 2023 08:15
Have flown before and done the pre check in dublin. They are ok. Wouldn’t say comfiest or newest planes but if you’re going east coast it’s totally fine for what it is. Worth it if the savings are significant.
toiler
toiler avatar

188 posts since 4/5/09

17 Jan 2023 08:35
Thanks all for Nice recommendations,l
swede
swede avatar

10829 posts since 21/3/09

17 Jan 2023 09:20
MoB wrote:
swede wrote:
MoB wrote: Cool I'll put together a list, I'll be there from the 27th myself Cool

i land on the 27th to hoedspriut for safari for a few days. then down to cape town. really appreciate any ideas :–)

You may already know of these Swede and i'll add more sorts of stuff when i get time but here#s a few bars to start off with - also just to add i've been to all of these so they're personal reccos

Blondie - for beers and food
https://www.blondie.bar/ - https://www.instagram.com/blondie_bar/

Publik - wine bar
https://publik.co.za/ - https://www.instagram.com/publikwine/

Power & the glory - Pub gets busy but decent beers and open late
https://www.instagram.com/thepowerandtheglory/

Clarkes - great food and drinks but more of a day thing
https://www.clarkesdining.co.za/ - https://www.instagram.com/clarkescapetown/

Dust & Dynamite - bonkers pub/bar atmosphere is always quality but looks like it may be closed for a bit going by their insta
https://www.instagram.com/dustanddynamite/?hl=en

Leos - Wine bar, really good selection of different types
https://www.leoswinebar.com/en-gb - https://www.instagram.com/leoswinebar/

The Dark Horse - Biased as our friend runs it but it is a good pub
https://darkhorsebar.co.za/ - https://www.instagram.com/145darkhorse/?hl=en

Roxy;s - bit studenty maybe but good atmosphere & cheap as fuck
https://roxylatenight.com/ - https://www.instagram.com/roxylatenight/

Asoka - good for drinks
https://asoka.za.com/ - https://www.instagram.com/asokakloofstreet/?hl=en

Cause & Effect - possibly the best cocktails in cape town, bit SA chavvy though
https://causeandeffect.co.za/ - https://www.instagram.com/causeeffectbar/

The drinkery - one of my favourite CT bars
https://www.instagram.com/thedrinkeryza/?hl=en

awesome mob - thank you
swede
swede avatar

10829 posts since 21/3/09

17 Jan 2023 09:23
Light_Sleeper wrote: Anyone flown Aer Lingus to the US?

Pricing up flights at the moment and the price difference vs Virgin/BA is pretty significant.

scouser mate of mine does this whenever he flies to the east coast. he swears by it as it is

- much cheaper
- no queue at border control when you arrive in the US as Ireland has some sort of weird agreement with the US where they can do a a pre-boarding immigration check (don't know the full ins and outs tbh)
- easy transfer from liverpool