General Discussion: Property thread


Show original post
Alfi
Alfi avatar

241 posts since 12/10/09

15 Feb 2022 12:36
.
MrW
MrW avatar

3141 posts since 1/8/11

15 Feb 2022 12:49
timmbo wrote: Or, should I ask for a discount based on estimated costs, and get the repairs done myself after completion? Advice online is mixed.

This, personally. If it's on the seller, they'll likely be pushed by agents to do the bare minimum to address the findings but get the sale completed.

Previously sold an old house, survey came back with a few things, seller requested they were done by us so agent suggested we used one of their guys to do the repairs. He did what was needed but was bare minimum.

If you need a rewire, you'd want it done how you want; maybe new circuits (future-proofing for new kitchen, induction hob etc), new lights / switches / sockets, or some are moved etc, not how the seller wants.

Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9650 posts since 17/7/05

posted 15 Feb 2022 13:54, edited 15 Feb 2022 13:54
Similar happened with our Victorian terrace. The main issue was that the chimney hadn't had proper supports in place. Seller was advised by the agents to address the issues as it'll only get picked up by the next buyer if we were to pull out. Seller did that along with a few other issues highlighted in the survey such as ground level vents at the front and rear of the property. Looking at the invoices of the work carried out, it all pretty much covered the cost of the survey!

We didn't ask for discount as we were upfront about wanting to exchange by a certain date when putting our offer in (previous buyers had pulled out as the sellers took 9 months to find a place and still hadn't found one) and if the price sold changed it would have delayed the process and the eventual exchange date.
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20740 posts since 26/1/06

15 Feb 2022 14:08
timmbo wrote: Re: the roof tiles and chimney stack, what's the best course of action? Should I request the repairs are made by the vendor as a condition of exchange? Or, should I ask for a discount based on estimated costs, and get the repairs done myself after completion? Advice online is mixed.

It really depends on how much competition you think you have and how attractive you think your offer is. In many places it's a seller's market at the moment due to a lack of good properties and lots of people wanting to move. If you make it a condition of your offer then they may just decide to go with / wait for other offers.

If you think there's wiggle room with your offer then it's potentially worth a punt. With the English system there'd be nothing to stop you going back with your unconditional offer presumably if they didn't play ball.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

5221 posts since 26/9/09

15 Feb 2022 14:32
It doesn’t seem worth dragging the process out or worse potentially losing the sale for a few slipped slates/tiles and a bit of pointing. As has previously been said I’d just crack on
seenmy
seenmy avatar

6670 posts since 17/6/06

16 Feb 2022 07:54
timmbo wrote: Had an offer accepted on a Victorian terrace, it's currently with solicitors, aiming for exchange end of March. Fingers crossed.

I went for a level 3 building survey, which has just come back. This is my first time buying an old (i.e. not brand new) property. There isn't anything alarming, most things are graded either '1' (no repair currently needed), or '2' (defects that need repairing or replacing but are not considered either serious or urgent).

A couple of things have been graded '3' (defects that are serious and/or need to be repaired, replaced or investigated urgently). These are:

- some slipped tiles on slate roof (front elevation and rear elevation)
- chimney stack appears level and plumb, but requires repointing to brickwork and capping mortar to be replaced
- bathroom extractor fan not working, and when isolated it causes upstairs lights to trip; electrical fault needs to be identified and fixed
- electrical installation appears relatively dated and may need updating to current regs

Re: the roof tiles and chimney stack, what's the best course of action? Should I request the repairs are made by the vendor as a condition of exchange? Or, should I ask for a discount based on estimated costs, and get the repairs done myself after completion? Advice online is mixed.

to be honest I think you have to take the surveys with a pinch of salt as they are pretty much a scam and just done by eye, no real investigation just assumption, the one we had done on our grade2 listed was a fucking joke, the things they flagged were not correct and or not big issues, but they missed a leak in basement and the fact that 2 of the the 4 chimneys needed to be re built….

Id no way bother getting the seller to do the work as others have said it will just be the bare minimum patch up job, get a builder / roofer / electrician to go round with you and assess the work based on what you want to do with the place long term and get a price so you have a rough guide for what you are in for when you start, and be prepared for as soon as you start works for there to be a bunch of additional work you couldn't see until you start taking things apart, factor in that you will likely end up with a full re wire etc
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

1134 posts since 28/2/12

16 Feb 2022 08:22
Anyone here had a lease extended? My gaffs on 90 years and i want another 90+ added. Contacted the people that deal with the estate I live on and theyre saying that their valuer costs £1000 and will be doing an outside visual inspection and wont need to enter my house. This sounds crazy for a grand +vat. Seems I'm paying £1200 for a guy to come and stand outside my house.

Is this right??
seenmy
seenmy avatar

6670 posts since 17/6/06

16 Feb 2022 08:49
not right but pretty standard id be surprised if someone even goes to the property and stands outside and or even looks at it on google earth…
swede
swede avatar

10512 posts since 21/3/09

16 Feb 2022 09:22
TROYBOY wrote: Anyone here had a lease extended? My gaffs on 90 years and i want another 90+ added. Contacted the people that deal with the estate I live on and theyre saying that their valuer costs £1000 and will be doing an outside visual inspection and wont need to enter my house. This sounds crazy for a grand +vat. Seems I'm paying £1200 for a guy to come and stand outside my house.

Is this right??

do you even understand what a leasehold is?
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

1134 posts since 28/2/12

16 Feb 2022 09:24
no, thats why im asking the question….
swede
swede avatar

10512 posts since 21/3/09

16 Feb 2022 11:06
baffles me that you'd buy a leasehold property and not understand how leases work etc.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

2185 posts since 30/10/09

16 Feb 2022 14:51
Any landlord has you by the balls for a lease extension, they know that the value in extending the Lease is much more than a few grand and that most people will pay.

If your remaining term gets down to 50 odd years your property becomes largely unmortgage-able and as such loses value as the term is reduced.

The law with regard to lease extensions is changing, but when it will be formally introduced is anyone's guess.
pentonville
pentonville avatar

1065 posts since 12/3/12

16 Feb 2022 17:19
swede wrote: baffles me that you'd buy a leasehold property and not understand how leases work etc.

Laughing out loud
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

1134 posts since 28/2/12

16 Feb 2022 17:26
swede wrote: baffles me that you'd buy a leasehold property and not understand how leases work etc.

sorry, let me put it another way, i dont know how lease extensions work.

thanks for the insight and help though, top boy.
deuce
deuce avatar

14164 posts since 21/1/08

16 Feb 2022 19:33
Nice to see swede making friends
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

5221 posts since 26/9/09

posted 3 Mar 2022 13:44, edited 3 Mar 2022 13:44
Anyone got any experience of tanking a cellar? Can I apply tanking slurry directly to this wall?

I’m pretty sure that is salts on the brick not paint. Do I need to remove the salts first? I’m getting a lot of water ingress down that wall which I’m pretty sure is mainly coming in where the wall meets the floor. The plan was to apply tanking slurry and use a fillet seal along the join.

seenmy
seenmy avatar

6670 posts since 17/6/06

3 Mar 2022 15:59
Id get a professional to do it, pretty sure you would need 2 coats of render on the wall first then the tanking then a coat or 2 of render or render lite over the top of it, then your decorative finish.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

5221 posts since 26/9/09

3 Mar 2022 16:20
After doing some further research I think I’d need a salt inhibitor first, 2 coats of tanking then the render. I’m not fussed about a decorative finish as it’s used only for storage. My main concerns were wether I could tank directly on to the walls as they are? There’s very little ventilation in the cellar so using a scrabble gun or similar would be a nightmare
seenmy
seenmy avatar

6670 posts since 17/6/06

3 Mar 2022 19:21
scrabble gun is horrible job, ushered with a labourer doing my basement recently, though the worst job for sure is the digging out of the floor which we started today, thats topping all the other jobs for exertion
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

5119 posts since 13/1/10

posted 4 Mar 2022 06:10, edited 4 Mar 2022 06:10
I'm in a semi-detached property, and I'm looking to remove the chimney breast on my side of the party wall. Got all the relevant people involved structural engineer and building regs, and they've all said it's cool, standard job. All reccommended to just get verbal acceptance from the neighbour and be done with it, we did, but felt written confirmation would solidify matters.

Now, I have handed the party wall notice to my neighbours, allowed them a few days to read structural engineers report etc. They invited me round there's recently, and said they are cool with it on principal, and happy to sign it… But want to append a clause to it stating:

"I agree to the alterations re-party wall of [Mr 'Razorlight 123's property], on the understanding if any unforeseen problems arise, damage to [neighbours property], Mr 'Razorlight123', will be responsible for repairs and incurred charges".

I feel like I'd just be handing over a blank cheque-book to them, particularly if any future owner of their property grabs hold of that…?!

Should it be worded more specifically, and time limit involved?!